The Greens/Efa group in the European Parliament is looking for a
Policy adviser for the Green Jobs & Green Economy Priority
The post is a fixed- term contract for 2 years (until Mai 2017) as a contractual agent of the EP (GF III). A prolongation of the contract is possible.
The group has decided to establish six policy priorities for at least two years, one of which is the “Green Jobs & Green Economy” priority. This priority intends to develop concepts for the restructuration of the economy towards social and environmental sustainability (“just transition”), while linking to current political initiatives at the level of the EU (e.g. the “Juncker Investment Plan” (EFSI) , the 2020 Strategy, the European Semester exercise) as well as at member states’ level. Building on and integrating the experience of the group’s Green New Deal activities in the last legislature, “best practices” at member states’, regional and local level development strategy should be examined and conditions for transfer being analysed. Change strategies necessitate establishing strong links to organised civil society (in particular trade Unions, social and environmental NGOs),to international organisations like the ILO, UNEP and to progressive businesses.
This priority aims at fighting the “no alternative” approach of mainstream economic and social politics by developing alternative scenarios and examples for better policy making,
Tasks to be performed
- Follow up of policies and activities related to the Green Jobs and Green Economy priority; coordinate the priority in the Greens/EFA group; implement the annual priority budget; follow up of activities in relevant committees.
- Take initiatives, develop, propose and implement campaign strategies in cooperation with Greens/EFA MEPs, the Secretary Generals, the head of communication and related advisers; assure close cooperation with advisers in relevant committees.
- Monitor related initiatives at EU level, in particular dossiers on the circular economy, European Semester etc.
- Ensure networking with opinion-leaders, progressive businesses, trade unions, as well as NGOs, civil society and grass-roots movements that share our objectives; improve outreach and visibility; connect parliamentary policy-making with outer world politics and national parliaments.
- Ensure liaison within the extended Green family including the European Green Party, the Green European Foundation and national Green parties and foundations; foster smooth mutual information flows as well as coherence and consistency of content and communication.
- Build and maintain a network of experts and opinion-leaders which can be called upon by the Greens/EFA on issues relevant for our work on the priority.
- External communication; write short communication papers and web articles on the basis of policy documents; support the group’s communications team with web-based activities, articles and newsletters.
- Internal communication; assist the preparation of internal briefings and press work; maintain a network of contact persons related to the priority.
- Event management; organise, coordinate and prepare public meetings and events, conferences and workshops in Brussels and member states involving stakeholder .
- Communication/media actions; assist the head of communication in devising and implementing on-line tools and actions aimed at supporting the priority.
- Experience in liaising with NGOs, civil society and grass-roots movements active in the field
- Familiarity with concepts and debates on “Green transition” and other issues linked to the priority
- Good knowledge of the Greens/EFA group’s positions in the field of economic and social policy and ability to work with the extended Green family
- Very good knowledge of the functioning of the EU and the European Parliament
- Ability to link EU policies with campaign objectives and campaign opportunities
- Ability to liaise with policy experts to simplify complex messages into easily communicated ones
- Experience in coordinating events: conferences, workshops and ad hoc actions
- Experience in writing newsletters, blogs, website content
- Computer and web literacy
- Excellent team player capabilities and experience working in a team
- Very good communication, organisational and social skills
- Very good command of English and mother tongue knowledge of at least one other working language of the Greens/EFA group (Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Spanish or Swedish)
In case of equal appreciation on competence and suitability for the position, preference will be given to female applicants.
In case of interest in this position, send a motivation letter with your CV and supporting documents by e-mail only to the Deputy Secretary General of the Group (email@example.com) with copy to Greens/EFA HR department (Greens.HR@ep.europa.eu) before 9 June 2015 end of business. Successful candidates are expected to take up the new duties briefly.