The Greens/Efa group in the European Parliament is looking for a
Policy adviser for its “Transparency and Democracy” Priority
The post is a fixed- term contract for 2 years (until Mai 2017) as a contractual agent of the EP (GF III). A prolongation of the contract is possible.
The group has decided to establish six policy priorities for at least two years, one of which is the “Transparency and Democracy” priority. This priority will deal, inter alia, with institutional corruption, EU anti-corruption measures, protection of whistle-blowers, provisions to fight criminal organisations, ensure parliamentary transparency and access to documents, creation of an accessible information infrastructure and a mandatory lobby register, MEP’s conflict of interests, and recommendations on rule of law and fundamental rights.
With this priority the group aims at involving European citizens and at restoring their faith in society and political decision-making. The priority shall increase transparency in the European Parliament and bridge the gap between the inside and the outside of the institution.
The initial phase will focus on the Commission’s first anti-corruption report, the work of the European Parliament Integrity Intergroup and the first European Union Integrity System report by Transparency International in order to identify opportunities pushing the priority up in the political agenda and to influence the outcome of the legislative process.
Tasks to be performed
- Follow up of policies and activities related to the Transparency and Democracy priority; coordinate the priority in the Greens/EFA group; implement the annual priority budget; follow up of activities in relevant committees.
- Take initiatives, develop, propose and implement campaign strategies in cooperation with Greens/EFA MEPs, the Secretary Generals, the head of communication and related advisers; assure close cooperation with advisers in relevant committees.
- Monitor related initiatives at EU level, in particular the Commission’s first anti-corruption report and its recommendations on e.g. political party funding systems and financing of election candidates, the European Parliament Integrity Intergroup and the 1st European Union Integrity System report by Transparency International.
- Ensure networking with opinion-leaders, NGOs, civil society and grass-roots movements that share our objectives; improve outreach and visibility; connect parliamentary policy-making with outer world politics and national parliaments.
- Ensure liaison within the extended Green family including the European Green Party, the Green European Foundation and national Green parties and foundations; foster smooth mutual information flows as well as coherence and consistency of content and communication.
- Scout for, build and maintain a network of experts and opinion-leaders which can be called upon by the Greens/EFA on issues relevant for our work on ttransparency and democracy.
- External communication; write short communication papers on the basis of policy documents; support the group’s communications team with web-based activities, articles and newsletters.
- Internal communication; assist the preparation of internal briefings and press work; maintain a network of contact persons related to the priority.
- Event management; organise, coordinate and prepare public meetings and events, conferences and workshops aimed at supporting the priority.
- Communication/media actions; assist the head of communication in devising and implementing on-line tools and actions aimed at supporting the priority.
- Experience in liaising with NGOs, civil society and grass-roots movements active in the field
- Good knowledge of the Greens/EFA group’s positions on transparency and democracy issues and ability to work with the extended Green family
- Very good knowledge of the functioning of the EU and the European Parliament
- Ability to link EU policies with campaign objectives and campaign opportunities
- Ability to liaise with policy experts to simplify complex messages into easily communicated ones
- Experience in coordinating events: conferences, workshops and ad hoc actions
- Experience in writing newsletters, blogs, website content
- Computer and web literacy
- Excellent team player capabilities and experience working in a team
- Very good communication, organisational and social skills
- Very good command of English and mother tongue knowledge of at least one other working language of the Greens/EFA group (Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Spanish or Swedish)
- Strong IT skills as well as well as experience in use of investigative techniques are an asset
In case of equal appreciation on competence and suitability for the position, preference will be given to female applicants.
In case of interest in this position, send a motivation letter with your CV supporting documents by e-mail only to the Deputy Secretary General of the Group (firstname.lastname@example.org) with copy to Greens/EFA HR department (Greens.HR@ep.europa.eu) before 29 May 2015 end of business. Successful candidates are expected to take up the new duties briefly.