Land and Sea grabbing in West Africa: Feed the people or export for profit?
On the occasion of the World Social Forum 2011, Dakar – Conference
9h00 – 17h30
Avenue Cheikh Anta DIOP en face de l’Université Dakar
|9.30 – 12.30||Agricultural policy in West Africa: export or feed the people?
Chair and introduction:Ska Keller, Member of the European Parliament, Green, andAmadou Kanouté, Director CICODEV
– Large scale land acquisition : the case of Senegal , Ibra Mar FAYE, Chargé de recherche à Initiative Prospective Agricole et Rurale (IPAR)
– Impacts of land grabbing on food security and consumption in rural areas,Amadou Kanouté, Director CICODEV
– Testimony of three representatives of farmers’ associations
– Assessment by M. Moussa Ndiaye, President of the Federation of Farmers’ Associations in the Louga region (FAPAL)
– Conclusion of the panel: the way forward at African and international level?
|12.30 – 13.30||Press conference
– Africa: Tax evasion and financial outflow – Eva Joly, Chair of the Development Committee, European Parliament, Green
– Policy coherence at the national level and in international relations: trade, agriculture, fish, energy, climate change – Ska Keller, Member of European Parliament, Green
|13.30 – 14.30||Lunch|
|14.30 – 16. 30||Sea grab
Chair and introduction:Isabella Lövin, Member of the European Parliament, Green
– Joint ventures in the fisheries sector in Senegaland Mauritania: recent developments,Mamadou Lamine Niasse, Member of ICSF (International Collective in Support of Fish workers)
– Consequences of Foreign Direct Investment in the African fisheries sector and its impact on local fish workers communities,N.N. African Confederation of Artisanal Fishing Organisations – CAOPA
– Which policy in Africa towards FDI for sustainable fisheries ? Kouraïchi Thiam, Miniser for Maritime Economy, Fisheries and Maritime Transport of the republic of Senegal (tbc); Simplice Nouala, Chief Animal Production Officer at AU-IBAR, in charge of Fisheries (YBC) (tbc)
– Conclusion of the panel
|17.00||Presentation of the conference conclusions, Sven Giegold, Member of the European Parliament, Green, and Amadou Kanouté, Director CICODEV|
|17.30||End of the conference|
For all information and registration:
Green/Efa Group, European Parliament
PHS, Rue Wiertz 60, 1047 Brussels, Belgium
CICODEV Africa – Consumer Citizenship and Development in Africa
BP 29 198 Dakar Yoff, Sénégal
Tel+221 33 825 49 14 ; Mob : +221 77 529 66 62
www.cicodev.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Translation: English, French and Wolof
Jean Paul Besset
and Karima Delli and Jean Lambert as part of an official EMPL delegation.